Backpackers – HOT tips for applying for a casual job in Australia


by JobFlex


G’Day! – Welcome to Australia!

You have been enjoying travelling and exploring the world and now you have arrived in Australia, with no money!

Australia is an amazing country and we want you to explore. Here are some tips to help you land a casual job quickly so you can start earning and travel again:

The most obvious tip is you need proof of your Work Holiday Visa. Yes, it is mostly electronic; however, print off the confirmation email you have received which states you have been granted, as the employer will want to see the visa grant number and your passport number. In addition, remember to get yourself an Australian sim card before applying for job! Most employers will only get in contact with people who have an Australian contact number.

Read through your resume before applying for jobs. You need to stand out from the crowd so make sure your contact details (with your new Australian number) skills and experience is up to date. Double check your email is also correct! Look through to see what jobs you are applying for then go back to your resume. Make sure your skills and experience match what the employer is looking for. You don’t want to waste their time and also your time!

It is best to be ahead of the game. If you are looking for a hospitality job, bar work/ restaurant work etc. you will need to have a RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) certificate. If you are looking for work in the following states: NSW, QLD, WA, SA and NT, this course can be completed online. However, if you are looking for work in VIC and Tasmania, you will need to put your school cap on and get ready to go back to class! Complete your RSA certificate before applying for the job which requires it. The employer will notice you have done your homework and that you are all ready to start as soon as possible.

If you are looking for a construction job, impress the employer straight away and before applying for the job, complete the course to get your White Card! It will only take one day. You will need this to be able to work on a building site in NSW, QLD, SA and VIC.(Do not get confused, it can also be called a Green Card!).

Take a look at our casual jobs on

Happy job hunting!


Lifestyle, Tips